Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Katz's Deli - I'll have what she's having!

On a recent dreary winter day, Eric and I headed over to Katz's Deli to scratch an itch that Eric had been feeling for a while. Maybe it's the lines, or that the heaping pile of meat isn't the healthiest dish, or that our first visit was a little confusing (we didn't know which line to wait on, where we could sit and how to order), but I just hadn't been wanting to go back. However, I'm quite happy we did because it verified in my mind why Katz's is a NYC establishment.

With the help of our friend, Howie, Eric knew to ask for lean slices of meat, which is MUCH better for us non-fat-chewers. Side note: the crew at the table next to us wouldn't stop going on about how ridiculous it is for people to ask for lean cuts of meat, when the best part is the fat! We highly disagree - who wants flavor to be interrupted by blobs of chewy, tasteless fat? Not us, but to each his own....

We tasted the corned beef and the pastrami before Eric opted for the pastrami, clearly the tastier of the two. The pastrami reuben was piled high with meat, russian, kraut, & swiss cheese. He had a smile on his face throughout the entire meal and the sandwich exceeded his high expectations.


I went with half of a turkey and mustard sandwich on rye and a matzoh ball soup and I was in Jewish heaven! I had no clue a turkey sandwich could taste that good. The meat was not dry at all and the bread was fresh and delicious. And don't get me started on the mustard....I am a HUGE mustard person and I could have eaten theirs by the spoonful. And I may have done that a little - don't judge.

We left Katz's feeling satisfied, full and craving more!

No comments:

Post a Comment